Due to the lack of nearby campsites and guesthouses, I’ve slept in what appeared to be a chicken coop in Nepal and have dangerously slept roadside in South Africa. If only campinmygarden.com existed back then! www.campinmygarden.com is similar to airbnb.com, but instead of featuring couches, bedrooms and houses for rent, the site allows people to open their homes (or gardens rather) so travelers can pitch a tent in their backyard for a few bucks!
Check out this one listing that reads too good to be true!
1 acre rustic cottage garden, situated in the stunning Cairngorms National Park in the Scottish Highlands. Space for tents or caravan, open camp fire available, dog friendly. Nice location for all, ideal for canoeists paddling the river Spey, walkers, mountain bikers, climbers, photographers, ornithologists, motorcyclists, fishing, malt whisky connoisseurs, skiers, snowboarder’s, adventure sports enthusiasts, etc.
- Local pub 1.5 miles away.
- Our own free range eggs are sometimes availableas well as fresh bread.
- Drop off / pick up available for canoeists paddling the Spey Descent.
- Outside toilet with basin, external water tap, shower/bath available by prior arrangement.
- Large vintage caravan with double bed and basic facilities available on request.